There are a few genres I don't particularly have a lot of interest in reading such as christian fiction, urban fantasy, "fabio" romance, crime/mystery... but I have read from a wide variety of genres and these are my top 10 favorites:
1. Historical Fiction
- I love books that revolve around an important time in history, particularily the holocaust, civil rights, wars, great depression...etc
[Examples: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen]
2. Period Fiction/Dramas
- I love reading books set in different time periods that the one I'm living in - mostly books set in the 1900s.
[Examples: The Luxe & Bright Young Things series by Anna Godbersen and The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald]
3. Romance/Love stories
- As I said above, I don't like the typical "fabio" romances (as I call them) but enjoy when a book has a good love story to it! If there is romance in the book, I'm more likely to like the book (or in movies and tv shows) I just love a good love story, why Nicholas Sparks is my favorite author :)
[Examples: Any book by Nicholas Sparks and The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger]
- I enjoy reading books that are realistic stories :)
[Examples: Any book by Sarah Dessen and most of Ann Brashares books]
5. Fairy Tale Retellings
- I enjoy fairy tales and fables so I love reading them and retellings!
[Examples: The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer and Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire]
6. Coming of Age
- I just enjoy reading about a younger character that shows growth and development throughout a story and these usually involves something major happening to them that they have to overcome.
[Examples: The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd and The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton]
7. Travel books
- Whether it's time travel, characters traveling around the world or to another state, road trips, journeys..etc. I love reading books that showcase people's journeys and experiences in another places whether its non-fiction or fiction.
[Examples: Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, and Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins]
- I enjoy reading books that involves magic, other made up worlds, adventure, all that jazz :)
[Examples: Harry Potter and The Sevenwaters series by Juliette Marillier]
- I also enjoy books written about ghosts, vampires, werewolves...etc
[Examples: The Vampire Diaries by L.J. Smith and Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs]
- I love a good beach type fun read, - good romantic comedies :)
[Examples: Books by Sophie Kinsella and Emily Giffin]
There are more genres I want to read more of, but these are my favorite :) These are regardless of whether the book is fiction, non-fiction, childrens, young adults, classics, etc...
What are your favorite genres?