Top 10: Favorite Genres

There are a few genres I don't particularly have a lot of interest in reading such as christian fiction, urban fantasy, "fabio" romance, crime/mystery... but I have read from a wide variety of genres and these are my top 10 favorites:

1. Historical Fiction

- I love books that revolve around an important time in history, particularily the holocaust, civil rights, wars, great depression...etc

[Examples: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen]

2. Period Fiction/Dramas

- I love reading books set in different time periods that the one I'm living in - mostly books set in the 1900s.

[Examples: The Luxe & Bright Young Things series by Anna Godbersen and The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald]

3. Romance/Love stories

- As I said above, I don't like the typical "fabio" romances (as I call them) but enjoy when a book has a good love story to it! If there is romance in the book, I'm more likely to like the book (or in movies and tv shows) I just love a good love story, why Nicholas Sparks is my favorite author :)

[Examples: Any book by Nicholas Sparks and The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger]

4. Contemporary

- I enjoy reading books that are realistic stories :)

[Examples: Any book by Sarah Dessen and most of Ann Brashares books]

5. Fairy Tale Retellings

- I enjoy fairy tales and fables so I love reading them and retellings!

[Examples: The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer and Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire]

6. Coming of Age

- I just enjoy reading about a younger character that shows growth and development throughout a story and these usually involves something major happening to them that they have to overcome.

[Examples: The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd and The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton]

7. Travel books

- Whether it's time travel, characters traveling around the world or to another state, road trips, journeys..etc. I love reading books that showcase people's journeys and experiences in another places whether its non-fiction or fiction.

[Examples: Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, and Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins]

8. Fantasy/Sci-fi

- I enjoy reading books that involves magic, other made up worlds, adventure, all that jazz :)

[Examples: Harry Potter and The Sevenwaters series by Juliette Marillier]

9. Paranormal

- I also enjoy books written about ghosts, vampires, werewolves...etc

[Examples: The Vampire Diaries by L.J. Smith and Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs]

10. Chick-Lit

- I love a good beach type fun read, - good romantic comedies :)

[Examples: Books by Sophie Kinsella and Emily Giffin]

There are more genres I want to read more of, but these are my favorite :) These are regardless of whether the book is fiction, non-fiction, childrens, young adults, classics, etc...

What are your favorite genres?