The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

The 5th Wave - Rick Yancey

"I am the one not running, not staying, but facing. Because if I am the last one, then I am humanity. And if this is humanity's last war, then I am the battlefield."

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey is about a girl named Cassie who is trying to survive the aliens taking over the earth wave by wave. There's action, there's romance, and war! Genre: YA Dystopian/Sci-fi

Overall, I really enjoyed the story - there were some things I didn't like which I will get into later on in the review in the spoilery discussion! At first it was hard to get into, but once I did - it was hard to put down! I didn't expect it to change POVs, so that took some getting used to but I actually enjoyed the male's POV better than the main character, Cassie's POV. I thought the plot/storyline was interesting - I haven't read too many "alien" books but I've read quite a few dystopians! I thought it was unique take on how the world will end (which essentially that's what dystopians are) and the scary part is it seemed more real like it could actually happen. YIKES. The romance aspect was okay - I wasn't a big fan of it, but I'll get into that later on in the spoiler section! At times the story had me confused with the plot and the different POVs but I eventually understood and I think it needed to be more fine tuned/more organized but that didn't take away from the story. I also didn't love the main character, I wish she was a stronger and more kick-ass protagonist but I still like her. It was definitely a good read that I recommend picking up and I'm looking forward to continuing with the series with The Infinite Sea that comes out sometime this year!

The SPOILERY DISCUSSION:

Warning: Only read on if you have read the book because I'm going to discuss the book and there will be a lot of major spoilers ahead!!

I

will start with the main character Cassie: It was funny because when I first started reading this, I thought the main character was a boy until she was introduced as a girl. That through me off to begin with. I found myself not really connecting to her as much as I would have liked. Something about her personality just didn't speak to me. She may not be one of my favorite characters, but I did still like her overall. I liked hearing how all the waves happened through her perspective. I liked how she talked about her school crush on Ben Parish - which I definitely can relate to having so many crushes when I was in school. Once he was introduced and the more she was talking about him, I was really hoping that they'd end up together. I was picturing how they would finally meet (and was hoping he remembered her and had a crush on her as well but that didn't happen) I was really hoping that he was alive (he was, more on him next) Back to Cassie, I was hoping she would be stronger than she was. I wanted her to be fully kick-ass (more like Ringer's personality). I don't know how she survived thus far. It really pissed me off that she wasn't all about going back to get her brother, Sammy when he was taken and she started realizing the soldiers were bad. I mean she did eventually come around to it but it took awhile. And then the whole love story how she was swooning over Evan bugged me. It just seemed so "school girl" and insta-love that I hated. (I usually don't mind insta-love it depends on the situation) I hated how weak she was with him. All their mushy gushy moments were annoying (and I love romance) so that bugged me. Maybe I'm bitter because I just want her to be with Ben/Zombie. She had some redeeming qualities and showed some strength but just not enough for me. I hope her character continues to grow with the series!

Evan: I liked how we got to see his perpective so I understood his love or fondness for Cassie. I liked Evan, how he is this alien that's good. I didn't like how mushy he was with Cassie near the middle. It was annoying with him professing his love for her. A lot of eye-rolling moments! But I still like him as a character. I think if Ben wasn't involved (r Cassie didn't have a crush on Ben from the beginning) I might have liked this love story better. Because I like the fact that he's an alien but good and he just reminds me of Wanda from the Host and her relationship in the book. But I'm team Ben!

Ben: I was so happy to find out that he was alive and I actually preferred his perspective over Cassie's. He was a better developed character in my opinion! I loved how he was with Nugget/Sammy it was just so cute and really shows what a great guy he is! I really loved his character. I can understand his crush on Ringer and I liked that aspect of the story (and also enjoyed the other characters in his unit). I just really liked his story. I'm not sure I would have liked the book as much as I did without his perspective, once his began that's where I became more invested in the story! And it's like over 100 pages into the book! I wish he remembered Cassie and had some feelings toward her though. I was hoping for more out of Ben and Cassie's first meeting but that's okay. I really want the main character's together, Cassie and Ben but I also just really liked Ringer and it would be interesting to get her POV, maybe in the next book! And more of Evan's POV. too!

Enough about the characters and the romance:

Deaths: To be honest, I didn't feel too bad about any of the deaths in this book. I think it's because I didn't get to know any of the characters who died that well. I feel bad - that was crazy that Cassie saw her own dad die - and also when the boy in the camp (forget his name) went "dorothy" and ended up in the Hangar (that was also a creepy part of the book) And when Flint I believe killed himself that was kind of crazy! I was worried that the people Evan shot near the end were Ringer and the others, so I'm glad that didn't happen! I feel like there were a lot of deaths, they just didn't make me feel anything emotionally but I did think they were shocking when they happened!

Plot: I loved how we found out about everything, how we learned about all the waves and what happened in each, how we got some background to some of the characters, how they found out about the aliens (that they were the soldiers) and their plans and how the world developed and how it ended. How Zombie and his unit found out it was a death camp and how the camp imploded and the rode off in a helicopter together.. it definitely left me wanting more! I'm not sure how Ben feels about Cassie so I'd like to find out and not sure what that kiss was about with them... and of course what happened to EVAN?!?! Is he okay?? Did he really kill himself to save the other characters? AGH. I need to know!!

This book was really good, the more I think about it - the more I like it! I just can't wait to see how everything panes out because I don't know where it goes from here? I'm guessing all the aliens won't be dead that Vosch will still be alive and will try to kill Cassie and them. I hope Evan got away! Will Ben and Cassie form some kind of love interest so this will be a crazy love square! I hope to get Ringers and Evans perspective in the next book!

(show spoiler)

Alright that's enough rambling on, I can't wait to see how everything goes in the next story!!

What did you think of the book??