Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

Beauty Queens - Libba Bray

“I love you for who you are, not who the world thinks you should be.”

This book is about Beauty Queens (teen contestants of a Beauty Pageant) that get into a plane crash onto an island. It's about how they survive, it's about how they learn about themselves and from each other and about overcoming their differences. It's a funny, cliche, wild, entertaining, and drama filled read! It's like Lost + Survivor Meets Miss Congeniality Meets Glee Meets the Truman Show. I never read Lord of the Flies but I think it's inspired by that book as well!

Overall I enjoyed the book - I found it entertaining and funny. I think the book got better as you read because you learned more about the characters and the plot was interesting and the pacing was pretty good. I thought it was unique in the way the story was told - it was like reading a TV movie complete with commercials and credits (one of the things I liked most about the book). I definitely connected more with some of the characters than others but by the end of the book I appreciated each character and the diversity the author portrayed through the struggles and stereotypes that people of a different race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender...etc. go through and deal with. I definitely laughed out loud at times too especially when I started not taking the book too seriously. However while I liked the book, I didn't fully love it. I thought it was really over the top and bizarre at times. The characters did get on my nerves a little and it was so cliche that it was just a bit much. This was in no way realistic and at times I wish all the "satire" was toned down and the characters got a bit more real. They did get more real at times, I just don't think it was enough for me to fully connect with them. I also wish that it would have completely surprised me at the end but it didn't. But I don't think my disappointment took away from the whole book because it was just so entertaining, creative, and fun!

I'd recommend this book to those that just want a funny and different read. One that you don't take too seriously but still understanding the message of the book. I thought that it was important that this book showed all different types of people and their stereotypes and how they overcome their differences. I think the quote in the beginning of this review perfectly describes the overall message of the book and that's something I took away from it! But get ready for a lot of crazy and drama!

Have you read this book? What did you think of it?