Top 10: Most Influential Books

Number the Stars - Lois Lowry A Walk to Remember - Nicholas Sparks Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone  - J.K. Rowling Jane Eyre - Charlotte Brontë Twilight - Stephenie Meyer, Stephenie Meyer Anna and the French Kiss  - Stephanie Perkins Can You Keep a Secret? - Sophie Kinsella Seriously...I'm Kidding - Ellen DeGeneres By Sue Monk Kidd: The Secret Life of Bees - -Penguin (Non-Classics)- The Luxe - Anna Godbersen

This has been a thing that's been going around booktube where people list 10 books that have been influential to their lives. They don't necessarily have to be your favorite books, just ones that have influenced you. In the videos, you are supposed to list 10 books that first come to mind without really thinking about it and without stating why. Well I can't do that because I feel like I'd just end up listing my favorite books instead ones that influenced me in some way. However, most of these are among my favorite books so I fail at this and I can't just not explain myself... So It was hard for me to pick books that influenced my life greatly since reading in general is such a big part of my life but I don't think I'd have ten books that changed my life apart from reading. So instead I picked 10 books that influenced my reading life and books I like to read and want more of!

1. Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

I read this when I was in elementary school and it's just a really good book. It sparks my interest in learning about the holocaust and World War II and led me to read a good variety of books set during that time and plenty more that I want to read both fiction and non-fiction.

2. A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks

This book has influenced me in so many ways. It was my first Nicholas Sparks book that I read and is my favorite. I saw the movie first and then found out it was a book so I went to the library and checked it out. It was one of the first times I can remember reading a book because it's based off of a movie. So it sparked my interest in reading books that were based on movies and comparing! However, the first time I read this I didn't like it because it was so different from the movie. But then I gave more of his books a try and slowly fell in love with his books and have read them all to date. Then I reread A Walk to Remember and fell in love with it. I learned to appreciate both the movie and the books separately. I think it's important to do that and I love them both and they are probably both my number one favorites (#1 movie and book) I recently reread A Walk to Remember again this past Christmas and it was perfect and I want to reread it every year! His work just means so much to me :) I can say so much about his books! I love romance books so much and he's the one that started it all in that regard!

3. Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling

I actually didn't read these until the summer before my senior year of high school. When I was in elementary school and heard of them I thought they seemed lame because they were about a wizard. Boy was I wrong when I finally decided to read them. I read them so quickly and just fell in love with the series! This really sparked my interest in reading more series and fantasy! I am currently rereading the series :)

4. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

This book restored my faith in classics. A lot of classics are difficult to read and hard to get into and relate to. Before this book, I read Pride and Prejudice which I love the story but the writing is hard to get into. Then I started reading Jane Eyre and it was like a breath of fresh air. It's so good and definitely remains one of my favorite books! I definitely want to read more romantic classics like this one!

5. Twilight saga by Stephenie Meyer

I read these because they were so hyped up and I just had to know what they were all about. When I read them I didn't like them as much as others and was quite disappointed and didn't think it needed to go past one book. But it sparked my interest in vampires and also young adult paranormal books. Looking back at them I did enjoy them and glad I read them. They get a lot of hate but they sparked so much people into reading! Before I didn't read much

6. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

This book makes me smile :) It just sparked my interest in reading cute contemporary romances and travel and boarding school books! It's one of my favorite things to read :)

7. Can You Keep a Secret by Sophie Kinsella

This book restored my liking of "chick-lits" beforehand I thought they were all the same thing, an overweight woman complaining about her weight and job and not having a guy and it's super cliche etc etc... And even though some of those things may describe Sophie Kinsella's books there is something different about them and they are so good. The perfect chick-lits - the ones I want to read. They are super cute, funny, and just take you away from your life and they are hard to put down! They read like perfect romantic comedies and I can't get enough! I hope she keeps writing forever!!

8. Seriously...I'm Kidding by Ellen Degenerous

I am a big fan of Ellen so I did want to read her books. Someone recommended checking out the audiobook.... I've had a bad experience with audiobooks as in I couldn't get into them and follow along - I just didn't like them until I listened to this book! It was so easy to follow along, it was Ellen reading it and it just felt like listening to her talk about her life and advice. It was such a good experience! So it made me want to listen to more but also become picky about what I listen to. I'm most interested to listen to books that are non-fiction about someone I admire and they read their own book. Some fiction books would be a exception if I think they'd make good audiobooks depending on how they are written. I am looking forward to listening to more and maybe expand the books I listen to one day!

9. The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

This was a random book I bought in a bookstore and fell in love with. I love coming of age stories and also ones told in the South - ones that deal with slavery or civil rights. I keep wanting to find a book that will move me as much as this one did. I really hope I do!

10. The Luxe series by Anna Godbersen

This was also a book I randomly picked up because the cover was so pretty - I was actually debating on getting it because I didn't think I'd like it. When I finally read it, I just fell in love!! I love historical fiction when it teaches you about history and such but I also love when the book is set in a different time period like this series! This series was set in the late 19th century and it was so good, the setting, the romance, the drama I loved it! And definitely want to read more books set in different eras, the 20s is one of my favorites the late 19th century to early 20th century and also other decades like the 50s to the 90s.

________

I feel like there are so many more books that affected me in different ways, but these ones capture the books I'm influenced to read, mainly the genres I love to read!

What are some books that influenced either you in your life or what you like to read?

&

If you have any recommendations based on the books and reasons I listed, please let me know :)

*This tag was apparently going around Facebook and readsusieread brought it to youtube so her video will be linked below!

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ7s2ydeFmM