Book Review: The Here and Now by Ann Brashares

The Here and Now by Ann Brashares

E-book ARC

Received from Netgalley for review

Release Date: April 8, 2014

Summary:

Taken from Goodreads synopsis:

An unforgettable epic romantic thriller about a girl from the future who might be able to save the world . . . if she lets go of the one thing she’s found to hold on to.

Follow the rules. Remember what happened. Never fall in love.

This is the story of seventeen-year-old Prenna James, who immigrated to New York when she was twelve. Except Prenna didn’t come from a different country. She came from a different time—a future where a mosquito-borne illness has mutated into a pandemic, killing millions and leaving the world in ruins.

Prenna and the others who escaped to the present day must follow a strict set of rules: never reveal where they’re from, never interfere with history, and never, ever be intimate with anyone outside their community. Prenna does as she’s told, believing she can help prevent the plague that will one day ravage the earth.

But everything changes when Prenna falls for Ethan Jarves.

[Approx. 288 pages, YA Sci-fi, Time Travel, Romance, Dystopia novel]

Review:

To be honest, I was disappointed in this book. Ann Brashares is one of my favorite authors and I have read all of her books. I was really excited to find out she wrote a new book and that I was pre-approved from netgalley to read an advance reader's copy. I read it in two days! I enjoyed so much of it, the romance, the characters, and the storyline kept me intrigued. However, there were many plot holes and anti-climatic moments that the book just didn't feel completed. It had so much potential with the storyline too! There was so much to this story that it wasn't long enough to share it all and to fully develop the storyline and characters. Not enough was explained. I could forgive some of those things throughout the story as long as the book wraps up well. However, for me the last chapter really fell through. In fact, I wouldn't mind taking that chapter out and do away with it. It felt like a pretty good first draft, it just need more work to really pan out the story! I still enjoyed the writing and aspects of the book but as a whole I was just disappointed. It was a unique book with it's dystopian, time-travel, and contemporary elements and also reminded me of a mix between Disney channel's Stepsister from Planet Weird, Phil of the Future, and a little of The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey.

Keep in mind that everyone has different tastes, so I wouldn't decide not to read it based on my review because I still enjoyed it and Ann Brashares is a great author! Who knows maybe this book will get a sequel (although I'd rather My Name is Memory get a sequel first!)

Did you receive this arc? Have you read any of Ann Brashare's books?