4 Mini Reviews

4 Mini Reviews: This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith, City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare, Making Faces by Amy Harmon, & The Dressmaker by Kate Alcott

I always have difficulty reviewing a book after I read it, sometimes I just can't put the book and my feelings into words. I have been working on this and definitely review more in the past year than I ever have! I wanted to catch up with some books that I read this year so that hopefully every book I read this year will have some kind of review. I have reviewed around half of the books I read so far, so I wanted to review all of them. There are some I want to do individually like Cress by Marissa Meyer and Throne of Glass & Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas but some I don't have enough to say for an individual review or it's been long enough that I don't remember all the details. Here are some reviews from books I read this year (no spoilers)

Mini Reviews:

January Reads

“There are different kinds of happy,” she said. “Some kinds don’t need any proof.”

Summary: This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith is about a girl that got a random e-mail from someone and and begins a correspondence with this person. This person just happens to be a young hot movie star that ends up coming to her town in Maine to shoot his next movie... If you are looking for a light cute romance contemporary, I recommend this one!

☆☆☆'1/2

Review: This book was a super cute read... I mean what girl doesn't dream about a movie star falling in love with them? I loved how this was written, starting with their e-mails, and in both of the main guy and girls perspectives. This was just an overall cute read that I could see becoming a disney or abc family movie! I do want to check out other books from this author as this is the first one I read by her... and her covers are to die for!

Summary: City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare is the 4th book in the mortal instruments series (TMI), the first being City of Bones. It's a YA paranormal series about a girl named Clary getting involved with shadowhunters (angel like people who fight demons) and downworlders (vampires, werewolves...etc) There's 6 books and the last one City of Heavenly Fire comes out in May!

Review: Okay, first of all I read the first 3 in the series a few years ago and liked them, but they aren't a favorite of mine by any means. It was supposed to be a trilogy, but she expanded it to 6 books. I wasn't all that interested in continuing because it felt finished enough for me. Last year I read the infernal Devices trilogy (TID) (Clockwork Angel/Prince/Princess) and FELL IN LOVE with it. I like it WAY WAY WAY more than the TMI series. I mean, Will Herondale, London, set in the Victorian era - YES PLEASE! And the only thing that made me continue the TMI series was mentions that the characters from TID appear in this and somehow the two series will converge in the last book. After reading TID it was so disappointing going back to this series because I just don't like Clary, Simon and Jace as much as Will, Tessa, and Jem. A lot of this book was in Simon's perspective and I just don't like him - this book was a struggle for me, I really didn't like it. In fact it's the worst book I read this year so far. The characters and plot were slow and boring!! The only redeeming qualities was the one character, that I'm blanking on right now - Simons roommate, and Magnus Bane, and just the mention of Will Herondale. But I am not eager to continue with the last two books.... not ready to struggle again. Although I've heard City of Lost Souls is better and most people seem to not like this book...

“I would rather be lost with you than alone without you.”

Summary: Making Faces by Amy Harmon is about a average girl named Fern who is in love with this popular boy named Ambrose. It's also about Fern's best friend who is also her cousin, Bailey and they knew Ambrose since he was younger. Ambrose goes off to war after high school and comes back damaged. It's about his healing process and true love. I can't put this book in words.... if you are looking for a book that will make you feel so much, one that is so romantic involves real love, involves a great friendship, is deeper non sexual New Adult book and also a Beauty in the Beast retelling, I HIGHLY recommend this book!!!!!!

☆☆☆☆☆

Review: Holy shit this book is BEAUTIFUL!! It's so hard to express in words how I feel about this book. It makes you feel so many emotions, it's so romantic, and deep and OMG. I just can't! READ IT! It made me cry so much, it made be swoon so hard, it made me laugh, it's just perfect. It is now one of my favorite books! I'm sorry that I just can't say anymore, but damn this book is amazing!

Other January Reads:

- The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd - short review: http://msbooklover89.booklikes.com/post/756608/the-madman-s-daughter-by-megan-shepherd

- Beauty Queens by Libba Bray - review: http://msbooklover89.booklikes.com/post/771114/beauty-queens-by-libba-bray

- Harry Potter books 3 & 4- review to come

- The Little Android by Marissa Meyer - review to come with Cress

February Read

Summary: The Dressmaker by Kate Alcott is a titanic retelling about a maid/dressmaker named Tess who runs away from her current employment to go on the titanic to America to make a better life for herself. A woman takes her under her wing that she meets before the titanic leaves port. This story is more about the aftermath of the titanic tragedy and the trials that occur to find out what happened both on the ship and the lifeboats and the question as to why there were so few survivors.

☆☆☆

Review: I really liked the start of this book, the first chapter is the best where Tess is on the titanic and exploring it and the second chapter is the tragic sinking. After that, it gets pretty boring for me following the trials and characters.... it ended well in my opinion though so that helped. I just wanted a retelling like the movie that mostly occurs on the ship and was so disappointed with this one.  I think my expectations probably ruined me for the book. However, I thought it was interesting that she wrote about the aftermath and followed how most of the rich survived and not enough people were put on lifeboats and what happens with the characters. I also like that there is a bit of a love triangle in this one and that it also follows the reporter. In the end it was just okay. I want to read more Titanic retellings!!

Other February Reads:

- Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi - review: http://msbooklover89.booklikes.com/post/785841/ignite-me-by-tahereh-mafi

- Cress by Marissa Meyer - review to come

- Just One Day by Gayle Forman - combined review discussion with it's sequel Just One Year (with spoilers): http://msbooklover89.booklikes.com/post/817539/book-discussion-just-one-day-just-one-year-by-gayle-forman

Throne of Glass and Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas - review to come

***

******

***

Have you read any of these? Thoughts? Anyone else struggle with reviews?