Book Review: Cress by Marissa Meyer

Cress - Marissa Meyer

“Captain?"
"Yeah?"
"Do you think it was destiny that brought us together?"
He squinted and, after a thoughtful moment, shook his head. "No. I'm pretty sure it was Cinder.”

- Cress and Throne

Summary: Cress by Marissa Meyer is the third book in the lunar chronicles (the first being Cinder, the second Scarlet). This series follows Cinder who is a cyborg in a futuristic world equipped with spaceships, androids, and a handsome prince. :) I don't want to give away plot points, but it's about Cinder trying to save the world (and the moon) from an evil Queen! Each book in this series is a fairy tale retelling (Cinder- Cinderella, Scarlet - Red Riding Hood, Cress - Rapunzel, and Winter - Snow White) that all intertwine into an amazing storyline with a fantastic cast of characters! Fairy-tale retellings, fantasy, sci-fi, romance, - what more could you ask for? Cress as mentioned before is a retelling of Rapunzel - she is a hacker that is trapped in a satellite in space and so much adventure and romance follows!

Review: Cress was absolutely A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! This series is one of my favorites, and I love each book so much but I have to say I think Cress is my favorite! Cress was a great addition to the series, she's so cute and shy - I really related to her character and just fell in love with her. And don't even get me started on Thorne! He is just one of my favorite characters of all time! He's so charming, and funny, a tad bit of a bad boy with a good heart! Totally swoon-worthy!! I loved this story, the romance, (definitely my favorite couple) the action, the twists, and the characters....  I don't want to give anything away, especially since it's the third in the series and personally I love going into things blind but just know it's amazing - Cress was perfect in every aspect, I highly recommend you picking this series up!! I am dying to read the last book, Winter that comes out next year!! It's going to be epic!!

If you have read the book, I added a major spoilery discussion and my predictions for Winter:

Spoilery Discussion

Okay so I wanted to add a category so I can discuss my spoilery thoughts on the things that happened in this book for those that have read it!

First, holy crap are Thorne and Cress CUTE!!! I loved their relationship so so so much! I loved that she had the hugest crush on him while in the satellite and his personality is the best! I loved that she really got to know the real him and fell in love with him and how he also fell in love with her since he's a bit of a player type and Cress is so fragile... and also how he just falls in love with her while Blind (which speaking holy crap that was crazy, they made such a great team her helping him but I really hope he gets his sight back!) it's just I can't handle how much I love these two! There are so many great moments with them! And omg the kiss thing, that he said he wouldn't let her die without getting a great first kiss?!?! And it was so perfect when he did it! They are perfect and one of my favorite couples!

Prince Kai finally found out the Cinder is Princess Selene! What a great moment that was, and their kiss - SWOON.

Iko, one of my all time favorite characters - she's the best finally get's a body!! I loved the part she played in the book and her personality seriously is the best! I was so sad when her neck/body got ruined! I wonder if she'll be something different in the final book since she went from an android to a space ship to an escort!

The doctor was Cress's dad! I eventually figured that out but it was a surprise - it was so sad when he died, but I'm glad he got some closure that he found her and she's in good hands. But I'm sad that she didn't get to say that she loved him.

Man, Scarlet went through a lot in the book! The scene where her finger got cut off! UGH. painful! And then she's imprisoned, Wolf needs to save her! That's cool that we made it to the moon though, looking forward to that next book!

We met Winter!! I'm so excited, how she seems so crazy because she hasn't been using her abilities! I already love her!! And I just can't wait to meet her and see her and Jacin's story! It's going to be another great romance!!! I really though Jacin was saying he knew that Cinder was the princess (when he said I always follows the princess or something like that) but it turned out to be Winter and it's cute!

I'm blanking now on any other things I wanted to discuss, but this book was amazing and gah I just need Winter now!!

(show spoiler)

My Predictions for Winter:

Queen Levana is going down and all the characters will have a part in taking her down. I'm not sure if she will die or I can see her ending up crazy, without use of her lunar abilities locked up somewhere all alone...

Prince Kai and Cinder will get married and rule Earth and save everyone from the intruders and the plague!

Iko will get a different body, one that will suit her best and I really hope she finds a boy to love her!! It'd be awesome if it's another android that's like her!!

Winter will be crazy luney in the beginning and eventually be able to control her powers like Cinder

Jacin and Winter will have such a good romance, him with his ability to hide any rebelliousness from the queen and protecting Winter and helping her but the queen will probably find out about their romance and things will be bad but they'll get better

I'm so scared a main character will die... NOOOO this cannot happen. So far only secondary characters have died - in the first book, Cinder's sister dies, in the second Scarlet's grandmother dies - and in the third Cress's father dies. I just got a horrible feeling that Iko will die. Omg my heart will shatter! This can't happen! But I think it will be related to Winter somehow... agh. So worried. I want to protect them all!

I just feel like this book will be so good and will end the series so well! No loose ends, a happily ever after but a little bit of damage along the way. I am also really excited to see the cover!! They all include a bit of red and something significant to the fairy tale character, (red shoe for Cinder, red cape for Scarlet, and red ribbon wrapped around Cress's very long hair! My guess immediately goes to an apple!) I can't wait for this book!! I really would like to reread the first 3 before the last one comes out! And I also believe there will be a prequel in Queen Levana's perspective!

(show spoiler)

Bonus Mini Review: The Little Android by Marissa Meyer

- The Little Android is a novella that is set in the world of the lunar chronicles and is a little mermaid retelling. It was such a good little story and I loved how it was set in the same world and also was a great retelling of the original Little Mermaid story (not the Disney movie) Cinder makes a small appearance/cameo in this short story which was nice too. It doesn't follow the storyline of the series, it's just set in the same world. If you haven't read the Lunar Chronicles yet, I highly recommend checking this story out so you can get a feel for the world and her writing - it will not spoil you for the series! You can read this on Marissa Meyer's website or it's also free on wattpad!

FYI:  If you have read the series, there are also two short novellas that you can read on the author's website or e-book form. - The first one is called Glitches and it is about how Cinder came to live with her stepmother and how she became cyborg (a mini prequel to Cinder) and the second one is The Queen's Army that's Wolf's story that can be read before or after Scarlet. They are both great additions to the series and each about a chapter long in length (16-18 pages)

***

*****

***

Have you read this series or do you want to? Thoughts? Any recommendations for good fairy tale retellings??