Top 5 Wednesday: Recommendations for New Readers

Safe Haven - Nicholas Sparks Jane Eyre - Charlotte Brontë Can You Keep a Secret? - Sophie Kinsella The Book Thief - Trudy White, Markus Zusak Anna and the French Kiss  - Stephanie Perkins

Top 5 Wednesday was created by gingerreadslainey on youtube (her video linked below) and it's open to anyone who wants to join in! The goodreads page with the list of other participants is also linked below! This week topic is books you would recommend to new readers. This is a hard one because this just makes me think of books like the Harry Potter series, The Hunger Games trilogy, and the Twilight Saga. Those are all books that have already gotten so many people into reading! But I feel like those are just typical answers and that they will be on a lot of people's lists today! So I took a bit of a different approach of recommending books if you are new to a genre and if you are new to the author! So this time, I won't be counting down to my favorite but nonetheless here's my list:

1. Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks

- He's my #1 favorite author, and I wanted to pick a book that if someone was new to him, they should read. A lot of people when they think of Nicholas Sparks think of sad mushy romance books but that's not what they are all about! Yes there's romance, and yes a number of his books are sad but he does add a different element to his books and really writes great relationships whether it be romantic, friendships, or family! In this one you get all three and it's one that keeps you on your toes since it adds in a suspense element! I've noticed this is also a lot of people's favorite book of his so that's another reason I picked it because even if you aren't a huge fan of him like myself, you will (hopefully) enjoy this book!

2. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

- Another favorite book of mine! I chose this for someone who is new to classics. A lot of classics are denser or quite frankly hard to read but that is not the case for this one (and a number of other ones I have read and loved!) Some people are scared of classics and although this one is not necessarily fast-paced it's written really well and you can really relate to Jane and it's so romantic :) If you like coming of age stories and romantic stories with an added gothic element - I think you'll really love this one! It restores my faith in classics :)

3. Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella

- I love this book!!! I picked this one if you are new to "chick-lit" and want to give a really good one a try! I've read some "chick-lit from other authors that I really hate because they all seem the same (an overweight woman complains about her job and then falls in love with a really handsome man who ends up falling in love with her after she loses weight... maybe that's just one story but they all kind of run like that in my eyes) But this one even though it may include some of those elements, it's reads like a perfect romantic comedy! It's funny and romantic and just so hard to put down! It's nice to read a light fun book once in awhile so I definitely recommend her work, and this one is a great one to start off with!

4. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

- Another favorite... this one is such a moving and beautiful book! If you are new to historical fiction, and holocaust fiction - this one is perfect to start off with! So many people love this book and for a good reason!

5. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

- I picked this one if you are new to YA/Teen contemporaries! I love this author and this book! It was so cute and swoon-worthy I couldn't put it down!! It makes me want to read all the romantic YA/Teen contemporaries!

Lots of Questions:

Have you read any of these? Do you have any recommendations based on my descriptions? A classic that's not hard to follow, one you fall in love with? A super cute YA romantic contemporary? A good historical fiction and/or holocaust fiction? A good romantic comedy chick lit similiar to Sophie Kinsella's work? A book from a favorite author of yours to start with? Or another book you recommend to start off with in a specific genre? What book would you recommend to a new reader?

***

*******

***

Links:

- Gingerreadslainey's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnKxMrb3FMI  - here's her channel, check her out!:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWEbV2Z1guEF0SvWF0Ng2qw

- List of other Wednesdayer's/goodreads page: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1608567-complete-list-of-wednesday-ers

Related Posts:

Top 5: Books I Want As Movies: http://msbooklover89.booklikes.com/post/804662/top-5-wednesday-books-i-want-as-movies

Top 5: Book Friendships: http://msbooklover89.booklikes.com/post/813687/top-5-wednesday-best-book-friendships

Top 5: Book Parents: http://msbooklover89.booklikes.com/post/822310/top-5-wednesday-book-parents

Top 5: Best Sequels: http://msbooklover89.booklikes.com/post/828835/top-5-wednesday-best-sequels