Book Review: Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge

Cruel Beauty - Rosamund Hodge

" I was raised to marry a monster..."

Summary: Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge is about a girl named Nyx who had to marry the demon referred to as the "Gentle Lord" because of a bargain struck up by her father before she was even born. To save her land, Arcadia, she grew up learning how to defeat the demon while sacrificing her life which was her mission upon marrying him. However things did not go according to plan...

Cruel Beauty is a beautifully written fairy tale retelling of Beauty and the Beast mixed in with Greek mythology and other fantasy elements.

Review: I really enjoyed this book! I love fairy tale retellings and this one did not disappoint! This book was definitely unique and the plot went where I didn't think it would go. It was hard to put down, I just wanted to know what happened next! I love the romance aspect of the book probably the most! I was confused at times, as I wasn't able to follow along with the Greek mythology too well but that didn't take away from the story. I do recommend this book to those that love fantasy, fairy tale retellings, and a good romance!

I am looking forward to more work by Rosamund Hodge as this is her debut novel! She has a novella of a Cinderella retelling set in the same world as Cruel Beauty called, Gilded Ashes that comes out this Tuesday (4/1) and I am super excited for that as Cinderella is my favorite fairy tale! Also next year in 2015, she is working on a book called Crimson Bound that is a Red Riding Hood retelling!

Have you read this book yet? Any recommendations for good fairy-tale retellings?