Book Review: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl: A Novel - Gillian Flynn

Summary: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn is a psychological thriller about a man named Nick who's wife, Amy goes missing on their 5th wedding anniversary...

“There’s something disturbing about recalling a warm memory and feeling utterly cold.”

Review: This book definitely made me think. It took a bit for me to get into, but once I got in; I was hooked and had to find out what happens! It was definitely hard to put down at times; it definitely threw me for a loop or two as well! I think what most impressed me with this book is all the little details that went into it, the writing of the characters, and how brilliant the writing is that mess with your perceptions! One minute you are thinking one thing and the next thing you know, you are thinking the opposite. It's pretty brilliant! I was kind of hoping for a more satisfying ending so that was a bit disappointing but overall it was a really good read! I am looking forward to reading both more psychological thrillers and the other two books from this author!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spoiler Section:

I thought it was crazy that I really liked Amy in the beginning and not so much Nick and in the second part, my feelings were reversed and Amy knew that! She wrote a likable character in the diary so you'd feel for her - and she turns out to be psycho! It's not that I thought Nick did it (killed her), I didn't think it was as simple as that but a part of me thought that that could be possible. And to find out she's been doing crazy things like this to other people... I just can't get over that switch I had in the middle of the book! The second half, I was really rooting for Nick! I was really hoping something crazy would happen at the end like she'd get caught or he would actually end up killing Amy and totally get away with it but that didn't happen :/ I'm not crazy about the ending, it kind of leaves you with Amy might do something crazy again to hurt him but you don't know. I think it's crazy that he kind of gave up and didn't want to be without her too. They both are crazy! I also thought that maybe they were kind of working together and we'd find that out in the end, so it does make sense that they end up staying together. On the other hand, if Flynn wanted to end the book the way she did with us thinking that Amy was probably going to kill Nick, it should have been more obvious. I don't get the last couple sentences - what they mean: "I don't have anything else to add. I just wanted to make sure I had the last word. I think I've earned that." What does that mean? And is Gone Girl the book she wrote? Maybe I'll understand it better when I see the movie! (if they do a good job that is or don't change the ending) I'm still pondering that ending!!

(show spoiler)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Have you read this or Sharp Objects and/or Dark Places?