Book Review: Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira

Love Letters to the Dead - Ava Dellaira

Summary: Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira is about a girl named Laurel who recently lost her sister named May. She was given an assignment from her English teacher to write a letter to a dead person and she picked one of her sister's favorites, Kurt Cobain. She continues to write letters to other famous people that have passed away such as Judy Garland, Janis Joplin, River Phoenix, and Amelia Earhart. In these letters, she shares what she is going through during her life and also relates it to what happens with their lives. People who loved Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky will want to pick this one up!

“I know I wrote letters to people with no address on this earth, I know that you are dead. But I hear you. I hear all of you. We were here. Our lives matter.”

Review: Overall, I thought this story was beautiful. I loved the way the story was told through letters - how we got to see what Laurel was going through and also got to learn about the people she wrote to as well. I felt that it was beautiful the way she was handling her grief and seeing her growth throughout the story. She has to deal with a lot; from losing her sister, her mother moving away, starting a new school, meeting new friends, and battling her past. I really liked how writing these letters was helping her overcome her grief as well as the people she met along the way. The relationships in this story were real and heartfelt - the friendships, the romantic relationships, and the family relationships. I feel like this story is also really important and teaches you a lot about grief and being the person you are meant to be. I feel like this is a story that will stay with you for awhile and it leaves a beautiful message. I knocked it down a star because at times I didn't feel fully connected with the story (that may be because it was an e-arc) but that didn't take away from the impact it had on me and the message it left me with. I definitely recommend picking this one up!

Have you read this or want to?

~~~~~~~~~~~~