Book Review: My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

My Life Next Door - Huntley Fitzpatrick

Summary: "One thing my mother never knew, and would disapprove of most of all, was that I watched the Garretts. All the time."

The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, messy, affectionate. And every day from her rooftop perch, Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them . . . until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs up next to her and changes everything.

As the two fall fiercely for each other, stumbling through the awkwardness and awesomeness of first love, Jase's family embraces Samantha - even as she keeps him a secret from her own. Then something unthinkable happens, and the bottom drops out of Samantha's world. She's suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself?

A transporting debut about family, friendship, first romance, and how to be true to one person you love without betraying another

[Summary taken directly from the goodreads synposis]

Review: Guys, I am thoroughly disappointed with this book. I thought I was going to love it so I'm really bummed I didn't. It was such a let-down - so much that I can't really write a proper review. But at the same time I need to get my thoughts out so that I can move on from this book and disappointment. When I started reading this book, I wasn't enjoying it. It wasn't what I was expecting, I didn't connect well with the main character and I hate her overly judgemental mother and her mother's skeevy boyfriend, Clay. The politics aspect (her mother running for Senator) didn't help matters much either as I am not into politics. But I kept going with this book because so many people love it and I'm reading it for a bookclub. When I picked it back up, thankfully I started enjoying it! The main character met up with her love interest, Jase and met his family (the Garrets, next door) and I was falling in love with his little brother George and the whole dynamic of the family. But not much was happening with the plot of the story, I didn't know where it was going. At first cute, the romance just felt rushed when the two Jase and Samantha didn't seem like they knew each other well enough and I didn't feel the chemistry between them. So then the book starting just being okay and I wasn't enjoying it as much again. The plot was boring, I didn't like much of the characters, and then BAM an unnecessary random plot twist occurs and it just leaves me angry. What happens and how it's resolved... don't want to go into details of course. But it just felt like it came out of nowhere to add drama - it added nothing to the book or much development with the characters and the story. I just didn't agree with how it played out and I was just ready to be done with the book already. I am really disappointed with it and don't get why so many people love it? It's just not the book for me. I don't plan on reading the sequel that the author is working on nor do I think I will read any of her other books in the future. Maybe it was just me and I'm really missing something but so many people love this book but sadly, I am not one of them. Overall it was a disappointment for me and I just need to move on to the next book!

Have you read this? If so what did you think of it? Have you read her newest, What I Thought Was True? Any thoughts?