Graphic Novel(s) Review: Maus I & II by Art Spiegelman

Maus: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History  - Art Spiegelman Maus, Vol. 2: And Here My Troubles Began - Art Spiegelman

Summary: Maus I & II by Art Spiegelman tell the story of a man that is trying to learn about his parents time during WWII and the Holocaust through visiting and interviewing his father. In the first one, Maus I we learn about his father's time during the war and how he went into hiding, and how he struggled trying to survive and not get caught from the Nazis. In the second one, is about his father's time in Auschwitz. If you are interested in Holocaust and WWII stories, I definitely recommend reading these!

Review: I honestly don't have a whole lot to say about this except that I loved this story, it was interesting and unique that it was told in graphic novel form. I loved that the main character was interviewing his dad about his story during the Holocaust and that the graphic novel was the outcome of his story. So we got to see his life trying to write this graphic novel, got to see him spending time with his father, and of course got to see his father's story. I liked the illustrations, I thought it was unique that he chose animals to represent the different people (mice=jews, cats=germans, pig=poles...etc) The story itself was interesting, and sad, and real. I'm glad that I read them as I read a lot of Holocaust stories and definitely want to check out more graphic novels!

Have you read these? What did you think? Any graphic novels or other holocaust stories you'd recommend to me?