Top 5 Wednesday: Favorite First Sentences (+ Quiz)

Top 5 Wednesday was created by gingerreadslainey on youtube where she picks a topic for each week and you list the top 5. Check out the goodreads page if you are interested in joining!

This week's topic is... Top First Sentences where you pick your favorite first sentences from books :) I'm excited for this topic because I suggested it on the goodreads page :) I'm not going to put them in order, just listing 5 I love and also 3 honorable mentions that I had to include!

I always thought that the first sentence to a book would be an important one, one that sucks you into the story. But as I was looking at my favorite books first sentences, a lot of them are quite ordinary. But alas I have found ones that I really like and made me think about my love for the book! There are quite a few famous first sentences, so because of that, I thought it'd be fun to include a quiz at the end to see if you can guess some first sentences! :) So first, here's my top 5:

1. "I had just came to accept that my life would be ordinary when extraordinary things began to happen"

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

_________________________________________________

2. "When I was seventeen, my life changed forever."

A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks

____________________________________________

3. "The circus arrives without warning."

The Night Circus by Erin Morgernstern

___________________________________________________

4. "I have lived more than a thousand years."

My Name is Memory by Ann Brashares

_________________________________________________

5. "This is a story about a man named Eddie and it begins at the end, with Eddie dying in the sun." [continues: "It might seem strange to start a story with an ending. But all endings are also beginnings. We just don't know it at the time."]

The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom

___________________________________

3 Honorable Mentions:

"I was raised to marry a monster."

- Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge

" One summer night I fell asleep, hoping the world would be different when I woke."

- Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz

"I've been locked up for 264 days."

-Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Quiz: Can You Guess this First Sentence?

1. "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we have nothing before is, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way - in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of it noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only."

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

(show spoiler)

2. "Mr and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much."

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

(show spoiler)

3. "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

(show spoiler)

4. "I'd never given much thought to how I would die -- though I'd had reason enough in the last few months -- but even if I had, I would not have imagined it like this"

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

(show spoiler)

5. "There was no possibility of taking a walk that day."

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

(show spoiler)

6. "There is no lake at camp green lake."

Holes by Louis Sachar

(show spoiler)

7." In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit."

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

(show spoiler)

8. "Look, I didn't want to be a half-blood."

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

(show spoiler)

9. "This is my favorite book in all the world, though I have never read it."

The Princess Bride by William Goldman

(show spoiler)

10. "Scarlet O'Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when caught by her charm as the Tarleton twins were."

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

******

If you did the quiz, hope you had fun :) Let me know how many you guessed! And let me know any of your favorite first sentences!