Book Review: Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Anna and the French Kiss - Stephanie Perkins

Summary: Anna and the French Kiss is about a girl named Anna that gets sent to a boarding school known as The School of America in Paris (a.k.a. SOAP). At first she doesn't want to go because it's away from home and what she's used to but once she starts meeting friends and a certain boy things get better. This book involves friendship, love, movies, and PARIS :) It's part of a companion series of 3 books (second - Lola and the Boy Next Door and third, Isla and the Happily Ever After out August 14) If you enjoy cute YA romantic contemporaries, I highly recommend this series!

“I mean, really. Who sends their kid to boarding school? It's so Hogwarts. Only mine doesn't have cute boy wizards or magic candy or flying lessons.”

“I'm a little distracted by this English French American Boy Masterpiece.”

Review: I first read this book on March 10, 2011 - I read it in one day. It was so hard to put down and it made me sooo giddy. It became an instant favorite! I decided to reread it in June in preparation for Isla and the Happily Ever After coming out in August (I also plan on reading Lola and the Boy Next Door in July) and I'm really glad I did :) I was having a hard time getting into a book, so it was the perfect time to reread this gem. Although I definitely took my time with it (took me about a week to read) and it didn't quite make me as giddy as the first time but I really enjoyed rereading it! I forgot how funny Anna can be and that was refreshing! It really is just a cute story - I love the setting of course, I love that she wants to be a movie critic so I like those scenes and references. I really liked the relationship with Etienne and Anna of course :) It definitely makes me want to visit Paris and read more romantic contemporaries set in other countries besides the US. Love this favorite story of mine :)

Bonus: Extra scene entitled "Vulcans are Hot" - This is a cute little extra scene that occurs after Anna and the French Kiss while they are still at school. It wasn't a necessary read, but it's really short and if you just want a little dose of Anna and St. Clair - it's a nice little read :) 3/5 stars because it wasn't that long or really necessary

On Stephanie Perkin's website, there is also some deleted/alternate scenes/chapter: http://www.stephanieperkins.com/annadeletedchapter.html - I started to read this but decided at this time, I didn't want to but feel free to check it out!

Notes on Isla and Josh

Since Isla and Josh (both seen in AATFK) are the main characters in Isla and the Happily Ever After I wanted to try and pay attention to those characters when they popped up to get more acquainted with them :)

Josh: I totally forgot that he was Etienne's best friend and he's in a lot of scenes throughout the book. In this book, he's dating Rashmi another friend of the group.

They seemed to fight a lot and I'm glad they broke up by the end of the book. (because he'll be single for Isla!)

(show spoiler)

He was a good character, didn't have many strong attributes as I was too busy swooning over St. Clair so I'm sure I'll swoon over him in Isla and the Happily Ever After!

Isla: She only has a couple scenes in the book towards the end. The first one is when Anna is in class and Isla drops her notebook and Anna sees that Isla has doodles of Josh's tattoo making it obvious that Isla must have a crush on Josh. She mentions that Isla is very shy and quiet. She also appears in the fight scene between Anna and Amanda and sticks up for Anna. Although they aren't exactly friends, they are friendly acquaintances who have respect for each other. Isla seems really sweet and I love that she's shy so I'm so excited to see more of her character in her book! And it's the cutest thing that she has a crush on Josh :)

I am just soooo excited to read Isla and the Happily Ever After and for their love story - I think it's going to be super cute :) I am also looking forward to rereading Lola and the Boy Next Door next month!