Book Review: We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

We Were Liars - E. Lockhart

Summary: If you heard about this book, then you know that people say you should go into this book blind and not know anything. In the summary, it tells you that if anyone asks you the ending that you are supposed to lie. All that is pretty intriguing. I will tell you this - it's about a girl named Cadence who visits a private island with her family during the summers and one summer an accident happens and as you read the mysteries and truths surface as Cadence remembers them...

“We are liars. We are beautiful and privileged. We are cracked and broken.”

“The island is ours. Here, in some way, we are young forever.”

Review: This book has received so much hype and when it came out and more people have read it, people seemed to be on two sides: people that absolutely loved this book and the people that thought it was okay and were underwhelmed. I'm stuck in the middle somewhere. It didn't quite live up to the hype, but I thought it was good all the same. It took a little bit for me to get into because the writing is pretty unique, but the more I read, it became easier and I got used to the poetic and fragmented writing. The story was interesting, but I wasn't really connected with any of the characters. I felt like they were all in the background and I was kind of vaguely listening to their story. They grew on me a little bit as the story went on, but not enough for me to truly love this book. The big ending while I didn't see it coming it wasn't as mind blowing as I thought it would be. Overall this story was pretty good - I'd recommend it to people that like YA but want something a bit different - plus it's really short. And if you are one like me that just needs to know what the hype is about!

Have you read this book or want to? What did you think (please be careful of spoilers)?

******

***********

*******

***** My Reaction to the Ending *****

WARNING: This will completely SPOIL the ending so please Do NOT click on this unless you have read the book!!

Throughout the book, the accident was very vague and I was kind of confused. I liked how we found out what happened as Cadence remembered. That was interesting. I also really liked the fairy tales she wrote throughout and how they related to the story. It kind of crazy that the four of them wanted to burn down the house because of their parents fighting for the estate. I was heartbroken when Cadence learned that the two dogs were left in the house. That was really sad. I was kind of waiting for a huge thing like something evil about the Grandpa. When I found out the three (Johnny, Mirren, and Gat) died in this fire I was kind of surprised. I really didn't see that coming even with all the clues. I thought it really fit with the story. It just didn't fit exactly with my expectations because i was expecting something that would completely shock and blow me away. At first when we learned the truth I kind of thought maybe Cadence was evil but then it was explained it was an accident and she tried to save them. It's really tragic and sad and I don't know how they all go on and could go back to that Island. It makes me sad for Cadence because it wasn't worth it in the end and their reasoning wasn't that big of a deal to burn the house down. It was still interesting though! Those poor dogs though :( :(

(show spoiler)