June Reads & July TBR

Anna and the French Kiss - Stephanie Perkins We Were Liars - E. Lockhart Anya's Ghost - Vera Brosgol Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone) - Laini Taylor Pivot Point - Kasie West The Walking Dead, Vol. 2: Miles Behind Us - Simon Pegg, Charlie Adlard, Robert Kirkman American Born Chinese - Gene Luen Yang Jane, the Fox, and Me - Fanny Britt,  Isabelle Arsenault (Illustrator),  Susan Ouriou (Translator),  Christine Morelli (Translator) The Arrival - Shaun Tan

I didn't have the best reading month, this whole month I was having difficulties choosing my next reads, or not being totally into what I was reading - there's nothing I read this month that I completely fell in love with (although I do have one favorite) and this month I started getting more into graphic novels which I'm happy about :) So all in all I read 4 books, one short scene, 5 graphic novels and a mini graphic story online. So let me just get into what I read....

1. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins (5/5)

- This was a reread for me, I didn't quite love it as much as I did the first time, but I still loved it and it was nice rereading the story again :) (My review)

2. "Vulcans are Hot" by Stephanie Perkins (2.5/5)

- This was a free really short scene found on Stephanie Perkins website that is just a scene between Anna and St. Clair after Anna and the French Kiss. It was okay but not necessary

3. We Were Liars by E. Lockhart (3.5/5)

- This book was pretty good - I was expecting it to blow me away and it didn't but it was still a good short and fast read! (my review)

4. Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol (5/5)

- I absolutely loved this graphic novel and I think it's my favorite graphic novel I've read so far! The drawings were so cute and I really liked the main character and the storyline! Really good!

5. Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor (3.5/5)

- I didn't love this one like I was expecting too. It was definitely different than what I thought. But I still enjoyed it, i liked the romance aspect - the fantasy aspect was a bit strange to me but I do plan on continuing on with the series to see where it goes just not that eager to get to it right this moment!

6. Pivot Point by Kasie West (4/5)

- I thought this was pretty good. I loved The Distance Between Us by her and I still like that one better but this was good! I read this one on vacation on the plane rides and I think it was a good choice for that because it was a quick read and hard to put down! I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in Split Second when I can get a hold of it!

7. The Walking Dead Volume 2: Miles Behind Us by Robert Kirkman (4/5)

- I read the first one last year as my first graphic novel and definitely wanted to continue with the series. I love the show! I liked this one, not as much as the first one and I figured out why - I like the illustrations much better in the first one as this one has different illustrations. I thought it was going to end with a bang like the first one did but it still left you wanting more. I'm looking forward to continuing on with the series!

8. American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang (4.5/5)

- I really enjoyed this graphic novel - I loved the illustrations and the storyline - how it was 3 that come together somehow! It's really good and I'm excited to check out more from this author!

9. What Were You Raised by Wolves? by Vera Brosgol (4/5)

- This was a really short illustrated story found free online and it just consisted of pictures and no words. I loved the drawings and I really like Vera Brosgol's work and the story was heartbreaking. She has a couple short stories in an anthology called Flight so I want to check that out but I really hope she makes more graphic novels!

10. Jane, the Fox, and Me by Fanny Britt (3.5/5)

- I thought this was a cute little story and I loved the references to Jane Eyre. I also liked the illustrations :)

11. The Arrival by Shaun Tan (3/5)

- I thought this was unique that there were no words and read like a silent film but I didn't quite get it. Until after I read it and read the description then it all made sense! I was confused with the story and didn't fully understand the point of it so I didn't enjoy it as much as I could have if I read the synopsis before going into it! So I recommend doing that!

I also read some of the graphic novel anthology Stuck in the Middle by Various authors and had to stop reading it - it was boring me I read a few stories and I didn't like any of them and they all seemed to be incomplete and depressing. Bleh. So I didn't want to force myself to keep reading. I read the first 3 stories and the one by Daniel Clowes (author of Ghost World) and didn't even like that story.

• Favorite of the Month: Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol
  • Least Favorite of the Month: Definitely the story I DNF'd but also didn't care for "Vulcans are Hot" short scene and didn't love the Arrival either.

Currently Reading

1. Blankets by Craig Thompson

I am really enjoying this one! It's a huge graphic novel!

2. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

I am also really enjoying this book, can't wait to see where it goes!

2. Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler

This is okay so far, it's pretty quick so I'm getting through it when I'm in the mood for it

July TBR

Besides finishing what I'm currently reading, I want to read:

1. On the Fence by Kasie West

Ahhhhh so excited to start this!! I'm expecting lots of cuteness!

2. Landline by Rainbow Rowell

I'm really excited for this one it's also the pick of a bookclub I am in -super excited! Love RR! (Comes out July 8)

3. Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

Rereading the second one in the AATFK companion trilogy in preparation for Isla and the Happily Ever After that finally comes out in August!

4. Boxers & Saints by Gene Luen Yang

I loved American Born Chinese so I expect to love this as well!

5. Skim by Mariko & Jillian Tamaka

I really enjoyed This One Summer by them so happy to read another graphic novel by them :)

I also have A Bride's Story (manga), Fables (graphic novel), The Color of Earth (graphic novel) and My Friend Dahmer (graphic novel) out from the library but don't know if I'm going to get to any of them. I feel like I need to cool it a little with the graphic novels because I want to read more books. We will see! (I think at this time I'm going to take My Friend Dahmer back to the library) I just don't like having a huge tbr and feeling like I need to read the ones out from the library.. I may perhaps read To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee this month too but I want to get a better edition of it before I do but I really wanted to read it this summer! Also there's going to be a booktubeathon July 14-20 so I'd rather be done my tbr by then - hopefully that happens but that is a lot of reading!

Hoping this will be a great month of reading for all of us!! :)

Have you read any of these? What was your favorite read of the month? Anything you are super excited to read in July?

P.S. There will be no June book haul because I only got two books this whole month! Craziness! I won both Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (the graphic novel) and The Jedi Doth Return (Shakepeare Star Wars) and I found Sandman Vol 2: The Dolls House for free! Hopefully I'll get more in July!