Mini Reviews: Part One

Okay, so I have been majorly slacking on reviews and one reason is because sometimes I just have a hard time writing them and getting my thoughts out no matter what I felt about the book. And other times, I'm just lazy! So I decided to do another review mash-up of mini reviews so I can get my overall thoughts out there of some books I've read but don't have enough feelings to go into depth... Some books I can't remember that well to do a proper review (or I don't have much to say about them). I'd rather not have a bunch of super-short reviews so I decided I wanted to put them together! I decided to split this into two parts, so this one there will be four reviews listed below - and the second part will also consist of four reviews :) So, sorry if you'd rather have a full review of any of these - I just don't have enough thoughts! Anyway, these are the books that I am going to do mini reviews in part one for:

1. If I Stay and Where She Went by Gayle Forman

2. Origins by L.J. Smith/Ghost writer

3. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

4. The Art of Lainey by Paula Stokes

(Read in May 2014)

Summary: This duology is about a girl named Mia who loses her family in a car crash. In the first book, If I Stay - Mia is in a coma and she's having an out-of-body experience where she can see herself in the hospital and all that's around her. She's trying to cope with what happened and decide where she wants to leave the world or stay. The sequel, Where She Went is in the perspective of the Mia's boyfriend Adam and is set 3 years after the accident.

Rating: 3.5 stars

Review: While reading If I Stay - I was immediately sucked in from the beginning. But as I continued to read it just became an okay story - it didn't impact me as much as I was expecting. I liked the story, but didn't always like the flashbacks/back story - I just wanted to know what was happening now. It was also just so heartbreaking. After finishing, I didn't want to immediately pick up the second but I eventually did. A lot of people said they liked Where She Went better and I feel the same about them both. They were both okay stories that didn't impact me like I was hoping. I liked the story but it's not one that has stayed with me. They are good reads and I am looking forward to the movie (which I think I may end up liking better than the book) I also enjoyed her Just One Day duology more than this one!

*****************************************************************

(Read in April 2014)

Summary: This 6 book series is based on the original Vampire Diaries books by L.J. Smith but follows the T.V. Show more. It tells the story of how Stefan and Damon met Katherine and first became Vampires.

Rating: 3.5 stars

Review: I love this t.v. show - Can you say Damon Salvatore/Ian Somerhalder?! I also read the original (4 book) series by L.J. Smith and liked it enough but not as much as the show. I heard that these were more based on the show and was really interested in them because they were set when they first met Katherine which definitely intrigued me because I love historical fiction. I definitely enjoyed this and do want to continue with the series but they are more pleasure reads. Nothing I'd highly recommend but I definitely enjoyed it more than I thought I would considering it's written by a ghost writer based on

a TV show!

***************************************************************

(Read in July 2014)

Summary: Ready Player One is set in the future where the world has gone downhill but the technology is advanced. A man created a virtual reality world where people can log into in order play games, communicate with others and even go to school.One day the creator of the world dies and has no one to give his fortune to; so he creates a competition - the first person who finds the "easter egg" that he hid in the world wins his fortune. The story follows a boy who finds the first key in the game which could lead him to the "Easter egg" and the fortune..

Rating: 3.5 stars

Review: In the beginning - I was really enjoying this book even though I am not much of a gamer (I like the older video games like Mario and the likes) so I didn't get a lot of the references. There was also a lot of background information to learn and I just wanted the action! When things started happening, I just felt like everything was too easy for the main character... he just happened to know everything there is to know about a certain part of the creator's life, he just happened to know this movie word for word, and he just happened to be a pro in this certain video game... That was getting old way too fast. Come on! That annoyed me as a few other things with the book. There were things I liked, I liked how it felt like a "Willy Wonka" story, I liked the love story, and some of it was really interesting - I just don't think this was the book for me. If you are really into video games and the 80s - I think you'd really enjoy this though!

*******************************************************************

(Read in July 2014)

Summary: The Art of Lainey is about a popular girl who just got dumped by her perfect boyfriend while she was working at a coffee shop. In order to win him back - her best friend Bianca tries to help her achieve this with the help of the book, the Art of War. They come up with a plan for Lainey to fake date someone else to make her ex jealous and want her back. This boy happens to be one she works with who is very different from her and also wants his ex back. Will they get back their exes or realize they are better off without them?

Rating: 3.75 stars

Review: I think this book overall was really cute. At first, I didn't really like the main character (she was too into herself and kind of annoying) but then she grew on me as I kept reading. I also didn't fully like Micah at first either - he wasn't really my type of fictional boy - but again he grew on me as well! There were definitely some cliche moments and some annoying characters but it was an enjoyable read! I loved that they all worked at a coffee shop as I used to be a barista and also liked the growth in the characters. It was a cute read and if you liked Kasie West's books, or YA contemporary romances - I'd say give it a go!

***************

Have you read any of these books? How do you feel about mini review mash-ups? If you have any questions about any of these books - let me know!