Book Review: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

Summary: To Kill a Mockingbird is about a young girl named Scout and her brother Jem who live in the South, go to school, play games, and are afraid of a man that doesn't come out of his house known as Boo Radley. While they are doing what children do, their father Atticus is a lawyer and is defending an African American named Tom Robinson who is falsely accused of rape to a poor crazy white woman. This novel is set back in the day where racism is very prime and this trial causes all types of uproar in the neighborhood. It's a coming of age classic with a powerful message.

“You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.”

Review: I have been meaning to read this book for FOREVER. It was always near the top of my TBR but I kept putting it off. I've heard such good things about the book and it was one I was SUPPOSED to read in High School (but of course never did - I didn't believe in required reading). I don't know why I kept putting it off - probably because I was scared I wouldn't like it or because it was never the right time. I made it a goal to finally read it this year and particularly in the summer so I am so glad I completed that goal and finally read the book and... LOVED IT! I liked it immediately, I loved the voice of Scout and seeing everything through her eyes. I loved her relationships with Jem. I loved that they were both afraid of Boo Radley and what ended up happening towards the end! (and how it reminded me of one of my favorite movies, Now & Then - there's a very similar situation in the movie) Just seeing those characters grow a little throughout the story and how they handled the things that occurred made me very fond of them. I also loved Atticus and thought he was an amazing father who really listened to his kids and taught them well. It was interesting to see how things panned out with the Tom Robinson trial and also heartbreaking. Overall I don't know what else to say - I loved everything about this book, the characters, the setting, the storyline, the coming of age aspect, the growth, the messages, - this was a fantastic book that I'm glad I finally read! It will definitely be among my favorite classics :)

Have you read To Kill a Mockingbird? What did you think?