July Reads & August TBR

On the Fence - Kasie West Ready Player One - Ernest Cline The Art of Lainey - Paula Stokes The Invention of Hugo Cabret - Brian Selznick To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee Flipped - Wendelin Van Draanen Landline - Rainbow Rowell Where the Stars Still Shine - Trish Doller The Lucky One - Nicholas Sparks Lola and the Boy Next Door - Stephanie Perkins

This was a fairly good reading month. I read 15 books in all - 10 novels and 5 graphic novels. I read some really good books and some okay ones:

July Reads

1. Blankets by Craig Thompson (graphic novel) [4/5 stars]

- This one was pretty good. Not a favorite however. See my review here along with a few other graphic novels.

2. On the Fence by Kasie West [4/5 stars]

- This came out on July 1 and it was really cute just like the Distance Between Us :) See my review

3. Boxers & Saints by Gene Luen Yang (graphic novel duology) [3.5/5 stars]

- This was a pretty good duo - I think I would have liked it more if I learned about the Chinese Boxer Rebellion but it was still good. See my review along with a few other graphic novels.

4. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline [3.5/5 stars]

- I liked this one but not as much as I thought I would. It was okay. See my mini review with some other books

5. The Art of Lainey by Paula Stokes [3.75/5 stars]

- This was pretty cute. See my mini review along with other books.

6. The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick [5/5 stars]

- This was a beautiful book, I loved it - both the story and illustrations. Mini review to come soon!

7. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee [5/5 stars]

- I finally read this book and loved it! See review

8. Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen [4.5/5 stars]

- I loved this book! Great coming of age story! See my review

9. The War at Ellsmere by Faith Erin Hicks [2.5/5 stars]

- This was just okay - a typical high school story. I do want to read more from the author though. Once I read a couple more graphic novels I'll do a mash up review

10. Landline by Rainbow Rowell [4.5/5 stars]

- I loved this book and this author :) See review

11. Where the Stars Still Shine by Trish Doller [4.5/5 stars]

- This was a beautiful and moving story! Loved it! See my review

12. Skim by Mariko and Jillian Tamaki [2.5/5 stars]

- Another graphic novel that was just okay. I definitely liked their This One Summer better. Not much to say about this one - I was a bit disappointed that I didn't like it more. Once I read a few more graphic novels I'll do a combined review!

13. The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks [5/5 stars]

- I was just in the mood to reread a Nicholas Sparks book and I'm glad I did. I love this one even more than the first time I read it! I also just watched the movie last night and did a book to movie review :)

14. Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins [5/5 stars]

- Another reread :) I squeezed this in and finished it the last day of July. I reread Anna in June so I wanted to reread Lola in July and glad I did. I loved this more than the first time- glad I reread it - I have forgotten so much! But Cricket is so sweet :) And love Lola's character!! I am not going to do a review of this one as I did for Anna. There was no mention of Isla or Josh and I just enjoyed the book but don't have a lot to say. Go read them :)

Favorite Read: This is a bit hard because I don't have an outstanding favorite. Because looking back at what I read - I enjoyed them as I was reading them but nothing that I want to gush about at the moment. I am glad I finally read To Kill a Mockingbird which was a good book, now one of my favorite classics but it didn't become a favorite book overall. It just makes me happy I finally read it! I loved Landline and Where the Stars Still Shine - it was hard to put both books down! And I loved my rereads of Lola and the Lucky One. And Flipped was a pleasant surprise. I guess I don't have a favorite :/

Least Favorite Read: Skim and the War at Ellsmere - both meh! As far as books, my least fave was Ready Player One!

August TBR:

Sadly I am not currently reading anything. SOB. I am trying to find something different, an adult fiction book either historical fiction or just something that will move me or make me think!. Hope to find something soon!! But I do have some books I really hope to get to this month!

1. Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins

YAY!! This book finally comes out on August 14 and I'm sooo excited!!

2. The Assassin's Blade by Sarah J. Maas

This is the 5 prequel novellas that occur before Throne of Glass that I'm excited to finally read in preparation for the third book, Heir of Fire that comes out September 2!

3. The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

I have been wanting to read this for awhile ever since I heard about it - so it's about time I read it! It's also the pick for the book club I am in :)

4. The Night Circus by Erin Morgernstern

This is one of my favorite books so I'm hoping to reread it in August! First it's on my list of rereads for the year and second its another pick for another bookclub that I participate in ever so often!

5. Open Road Summer by Emery Lord

I am hoping I can get my hands on this book so I can read it before summer is over!! It will also get me more excited for the return of Nashville since it's also a country singer type book!

Those are the only books I'm going to put on my tbr and I'll just see where the month takes me!

Have you read any of these books? What was your favorite of July?

Happy Reading! :)