Book Review: The Assassin's Blade by Sarah J. Maas

The Assassin's Blade - Sarah J. Maas

Summary: The Assassin's Blade is a set of 5 novellas that act as a prequel to the Throne of Glass series. The series is about an assassin named Celaena Sardothien who juggles surviving, killing people she's hired to, falling in love, and her moral heart. It's a YA fantasy series consisted of 6 books, the first one being Throne of Glass. The third book in the series, Heir of Fire releases this September 2. The prequel tells the story in 5 novellas that shows insight into Celaena's past and what led up to the beginning of the first book,Throne of Glass.

Review: I loved this and thought it was a great prequel to the series because you learned everything that happened that lead up to the beginning of Throne of Glass! And even though they were 5 separate stories/novellas they all flowed into the next and read more like a prequel that needs to be read in order but each story can stand on it's own. Very good, I'm so glad she wrote it because it gives you the background of what happened to Celaena, you understand where she came from and it all just flows perfectly. I think all that happened was true to her character and it was definitely heartbreaking a few times - it was definitely a good read and I highly recommend if you love the Throne of Glass series to read this!! Here's what I thought of each story as I was reading them from my updates on goodreads:

1. "The Assassin and the Pirate Lord": 4/5 stars - I really liked this story and just love Sam :) I hope these stories are linear I wish it was a full on prequel novel rather than 5 separate stories but glad this was a complete story and I look forward to the rest!! It's fun learning where Celaena came from and finding out what happened before TOG :) glad to be in the world again!!

2. "The Assassin and the Healer": - 5/5 stars - That was even better than the first, glad to know it's going chronological and we got to know what happened after the first novella -- so good I love the character of Yrene (the healer) and I really hope we see more of her!! So good - looking forward to the next story :) :)

3. "the Assassin and the Desert": 4.5/5 stars - another good story! I love the way the friendships are written in these books and also that really threw me for a loop!! And I love Celaenas heart :) Very good!! 2 more novellas to go... I feel like I'm going to have to really prepare myself for what's surely about the happen in one of these :/

4. "The Assassin and the Underworld": 5/5 stars. Ugh my heart :/ that was a beautiful story but heartbreaking at the same time. I don't think I'm ready for the next chapter. I forget what happens from reading TOG but I hope C kills that certain person!!! And man I love Sam!! But I'm team Chaol - so torn - why?! Why is SJM doing this to my heart?!

5. "The Assassin and the Empire": 5/5 stars. Ugh my heart. But really good leads you right up to the beginning of Throne of Glass for the most part. A lot of things happened in this one and I'm still not sure what I make of Abrobyn :/

***********************

Additionally...I read both Throne of Glass and Crown of Midnight in the beginning of the year and never did a review on them. I was going to wait until I read this to do a review, but I realize I don't remember enough and don't have a whole lot to say other than I love the series - I loved it from book one. I really love the character of Celaena and while she wasn't as ruthless as she was made out to be, I loved her moral heart. And Chaol - I love him! Definitely rooting for him! I loved the spin the first book had towards the end and the direction that Crown of Midnight was headed! Although it the second book broke my heart - it's still a really great series and I'm excited to see where it's headed in the next book, Heir of Fire and the 3 after that! I also read 2 short scenes that were the Assassin and the Princess 1.1 and the Assassin and the Captain 1.2 and loved them both as well!

I'm definitely going to need to read a good recap of Throne of Glass and Crown of Midnight so I'm reacquainted with the stories and am prepared for Heir of Fire that comes out September 2 - so excited!!
!

Have you read any of this series? How about this prequel? What do you think?