Book Review: Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins

Isla and the Happily Ever After - Stephanie Perkins

Summary: Isla has had a crush on Josh forever. One fateful night she sees him in a cafe and (because she's doped on pain meds due to wisdom teeth surgery) - she has the courage to talk to him. Little does she know, he might just have a crush on her too... This is the third and final book in the companion trilogy by Stephanie Perkins :)

“You know that because you asked me out, you’re the one who has to pick the place, right?”
Throat. Dry.
Dry throat.
All of the dryness in my throat.
“Whatever you suggest.” He grins. “I’ll say yes. You’ll definitely get a yes. If that helps.”

Review: I have been anticipating this book for a fairly long time. I read Anna and the French Kiss back in 2011 and absolutely loved it - then I read Lola and the Boy Next Door in the beginning of 2012 (and then reread Anna in June, and Lola in July in preparation). I was so excited for this final book especially learning that it was Isla and Josh's story from the first book. It was postponed a few times and then when it was finally released - I still had to wait to get it in the mail! Nonetheless I finally got it Thursday night and began reading right away and finished it the next day. On the whole, I was not disappointed and it felt worth the wait. I instantly fell in love with Isla as I could definitely relate to her shyness. I thought it was sweet how she had a crush on Josh :) And when things started happening with them I was really happy and swooning and felt like I was right along with Isla and that I was crushing on Josh too!! But then I felt like everything was rushed and just happening too fast and it wasn't as believable as it could have been - on Josh's part mostly. I don't really want to explain any further because of spoilers and because I'd rather not dwell on the things I didn't like! But there were some REALLY cute moments between them - my heart stopped a few times!! I loved the graphic novel, the fact that Josh was an artist, Isla's best friend, Kurt, the way they started at a cafe called Kismet (which totally reminds me of a movie I love - Serendipity), the setting in NY, Paris, and that scene in Barcelona, and I especially loved the cameo of the characters from the previous books - that made me really happy! Although there were some issues with the book, I really enjoyed reading it overall and it left me with a happy heart! I thought it was a good concluding book to the companion series! It's hard to say but I think it's my favorite of the 3. Just because I loved Isla and really related to her and I think the fact she had a crush on Josh for awhile was just too cute. I just wish things were fleshed out a bit more and I'd be confident in saying it's my favorite. But it may still be Anna - on the fence on this one! All great love stories! I am really looking forward to see what Stephanie Perkins writes next! I really think she can write some good New Adult!! :)

I highly recommend this series if you love swoon-worthy cute contemporary reads :)

Have you read Isla and the Happily Ever After? Anna and the French Kiss? Lola and the Boy Next Door? Which one is your favorite?