Series I Won't Finish

Divergent - Veronica Roth Marked - Kristin Cast, P.C. Cast Shiver - Maggie Stiefvater City of Bones - Cassandra Clare Splintered - A.G. Howard Gossip Girl - Cecily von Ziegesar My Life Next Door - Huntley Fitzpatrick Walking Disaster - Jamie McGuire Small Steps - Louis Sachar Dead Until Dark - Charlaine Harris

Nowadays, it really seems like every book is part of a series - and not all of them are going to be for you! I've completed a decent amount of series, and there are ones I really need to finish but these are ones I have no intentions of finishing. There are some I'm debating on finishing though!

Before I get into the list, I'm sorry if any of these are your favorite series and if my thoughts offend you. They just weren't the series for me!

Series I Won't Finish

1. The Divergent trilogy by Veronica Roth

- I didn't really like the first book and I don't understand why so many people go nuts over this series! I tried to read the second one, Insurgent but got to the point where I was forcing myself to read it - so I gave up and don't care to continue. When everyone was going nuts over Allegiant, I looked up the spoiler just to see what the fuss was about so now I know and I'm good. Just not the series for me!

2. House of Night series by Kristin and P.C. Cast

- I read the first one, Marked a few years ago and it was just okay - nothing special. And the series is so long and I hear it just gets worse so I don't feel bad at all giving that one up. Why do some series drag on forever - let it go.

3. Shiver trilogy by Maggie Stiefvater

- I read Shiver years ago and was highly disappointed - I really liked the premise of the story but it was really boring to me and  just a let down. I do like the covers, but the story did not intrigue me enough to continue. Not that I really remember the details now anyway!

4. Key of Light trilogy by Nora Roberts

- I read the first one last year and really didn't like it. It was like a mix of chick lit with fantasy and it just didn't work well. It was weird to me. And I read the Bride Quartet by NR and really enjoyed that - and this trilogy was kind of the same (same type of protagonist, same predictable love stories just with a different element added in) so I don't even think I'll read any more books by her in general.

5. The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare

- Now this one took some time for me to finally say I am done with the series. I read the first 3 years ago and remember enjoying them but not as much as the hype surrounding the series. And looking back, it's definitely one of my least favorites of the series I've read. And then I read the Infernal Devices trilogy and LOVED it. It's one of my favorites. I don't get how this can happen - but it happened. Maybe the storyline just works better set in London in the Victorian era. I don't know. But I found out the both trilogies come together with the last 3 in the TMI series (especially in the last one) so that got me excited and I decided to continue and read City of Fallen Angels in January and pretty much hated it. One of my least faves I read this year. It was boring - I'm not a fan of Simon. And I thought okay, well I heard City of Lost Souls is better but I just couldn't force myself to read it. And when City of Heavenly Fire came out and everyone was excited about it and going on about the parallels between the two stories and I didn't care enough to at least look up the spoilers - I knew it was time to let that series go! I'm not sure if I'll read anything else by the author either.

6. Splintered trilogy by A.G. Howard

- I bought the first book because the cover was so pretty but I was disappointed with the book. I can see how people would really like it, but I just wasn't connecting with the main character and the weird things that happened - it just wasn't the book for me. I was debating on continuing and even requested and got approved for the second book, Unhinged on netgalley but I tried to start it and just couldn't get into it. I even read the novella, The Moth in the Mirror and liked that better than the book but it still wasn't enough for me to continue. I gave the book away in a giveaway and even though I feel bad about the unread e-arc I have of Unhinged, I let the series go.

7. The Tudor Court series by Phillipa Gregory

- I read the Other Boleyn Girl and it was just okay. I'm just going to leave it as a stand alone and have no interest reading the others in the series or any more book by this author.

8. The Shadow of the Wind series by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

- I thought the Shadow of the Wind was a pretty good stand alone and I'm just leaving it that way. I didn't love it enough to read the others or more books by this author

9. Princess Diaries series by Meg Cabot

- Just a series I read when I was younger (I think the first 3-5) and enjoyed then but no intentions of finishing or reading them again.

10. Georgia Nicholson series by Louise Rennison

- I read the first 5 and really enjoyed this when I was younger but have no intentions of reading them again or finishing the series.

11. Little Women series by Louisa May Alcott

- I love Little Women and I'm keeping it as a stand alone. I don't want to read the sequels. (Little Men or Jo's Boys)

12. My Antonia series by Willa Cather

- I read this book twice (once during school and once either last year or the year before) and for some reason the story does not stick with me. And since this is her best work, I won't be reading others by her. It'll stay as a stand alone for me.

13. The Fame Game trilogy by Lauren Conrad

- I actually enjoyed the L.A. Candy trilogy and would reread the series  - but I read the Fame Game book one and I just don't like the main character so I'm not interested in finishing the trilogy. Meh.

14. Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris

- I read the first one and it was an okay read, but the series is too long and I just don't want to commit to it. I didn't like the first one enough to continue with it.

15. Gossip Girl series by Cecily Von Ziegesar

- This took me awhile to finally give up. I read the first 9 books in the last few years with intentions of finishing it but everytime I look at the books I just don't want to make myself read it anymore. I think they are somewhat enjoyable while I was reading them but when I was done I just didn't care and they didn't do anything for me. I can't convince myself to finish it. I do love the show though!

16. Ya Ya Sisterhood series by Rebecca Wells

I read The Divine Secrets of the YA YA Sisterhood and it was just okay - I like the movie better. Have no desire to read other books from this author including ones in this series

Sequels I Won't Read

1. The Boy Most Likely To by Huntley Fitzpatrick

- (Sequel to My Life Next Door). That book is probably my least favorite book I read all year. (although City of Fallen Angels was pretty bad for me too) I don't get why people love this book so much - or consider it one of their favorites?! I mean I liked the family next door especially little George but I can't get over that pointless plot twist amongst other things. I will never read another book from this author. Her writing style and I just don't mesh.

2. Flying Changes by Sara Gruen

- (Sequel to Riding Lessons). I find it crazy that Water for Elephants is one of my favorite books, but I hated Riding Lessons. it was sooooooooooo BORING! I couldn't make myself read the sequel, Flying Changes. I'm not sure I'll read anything else by her unless it's a sequel to Water for Elephants or another historical fiction. This makes me sad, some authors I'll read all of their books -  and some just have one hit for me.

3. Walking Disaster by Jamie Maguire

- (Sequel to Beautiful Disaster) I really did not like Beautiful Disaster - I just don't like those kind of drama love stories and it especially didn't work for me in this book. Another author I won't be reading any more of her books. Not for me.

4. Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner

(Sequel to Good in bed) Good in Bed is one of my least favorite books and she's another author I'm not going to read any more books by! I just don't like her style!

5. Small Steps by Louis Sachar

- (Sequel to Holes) Holes is one of my all time favorite books and I just want to keep it as a stand alone. Although I realize Small Steps centers around secondary characters and is years later - I just don't have an interest in their story. And I don't want to ruin what I feel about Holes.

Series I'm Debating on Finishing

1. Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon

- I read Outlander and I did enjoy the premise, her writing, the time travel historical fiction aspect but I hated the romance. It was too "Fifty Shades of Grey" for me. Too much sex and I overall didn't enjoy it that much. I wish the romance was better because I would want to continue because the setting and time period I love and I even loved the start of the romance/love triangle thing going on but the sex ruined it for me. But now everyone's going crazy over it because of the show. And the books are soooo long! I don't know... does it get better - is there still too much sex?

2. Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy by Laini Taylor

- I enjoyed this book in the beginning but then it got just too strange for me and then it started picking up again - I liked the romance aspect but not the fantasy aspect. It's kind of just reminds me of beastiality and I'm weirded out by that. I just not sure, there's something about her writing that just doesn't sit well with me. I even read her story in My True Love Gave to Me that comes out in October and it was fantasy and I just didn't like it that much. I feel like I can appreciate how her writing is beautiful and creative but it just doesn't mesh with me. Can't explain it. But people love this series and say it gets better. I just don't know if I'm invested enough.

3. The Madman's Daughter trilogy by Megan Shepherd

- I was loving this in the beginning, and then it got weird fast. The whole animal thing and the love triangle was just TOO MUCH. I like how it's a retelling, and the second is a retelling of another horror gothic story which is interesting but I don't know if I want to continue.

4. Jessica Rules the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey

- I read Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side and enjoyed it actually, but the story just didn't stick with me enough and I lost interest in reading the sequel, but still debating on that.

5. Girl with Guitar trilogy by Caisey Quinn

Girl with Guitar was my first true NA book and I'm not sure how much I like it. I like the premise of the story but overall it was just okay. But I'm just on the fence.

****

*********

****

There may be more I'm completely forgetting, but as of now these are the series I don't plan on finishing! I did a completed series post here and I want to do a post of the series I need to finish (and ones I'm caught up with)

*****************************************

Would any of these series make your list? How do you feel about not finishing a series? What series will you not finish?! I'd love to know!