Summer Reads Wrap Up & 5 Favorite Books of the Summer

Regan from peruseproject on youtube just did a video where she wrapped up the books she read during the summer and listed her 5 of the best books she read. I was inspired to do the same but also include my wrap up for the 10 books I put on my summer TBR to see how I did!

10 Books I Wanted to Read in the Summer

In the beginning of June, I participated in the Broke and Bookish top ten list where I listed the top 10 books in my beach bag for the summer a.k.a the books I planned to read during the summer. Here are the books I had planned on reading during the summer:

1, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (READ in July)

2. The Percy Jackson Series by Rick Riordan (didn't read)

3. the Anna and the French Kiss series (READ Anna in June, Lola in July, & Isla in August!)

4. A book by Elin Hilderbrand (didn't read)

5. The Assassin's Blade by Sarah J. Maas (READ in August)

6. The One and Only by Emily Giffin (didn't read but attempted in June)

7. A Nicholas Sparks reread (READ - the Lucky One in July and The Last Song in August)

8. The Art of Lainey by Paula Stokes (READ in July)

9. Open Road Summer by Emery Lord (didn't read)

10. On the Fence by Kasie West (READ in July)

Results: 6/10 - I'm happy with that! I still want to read the Percy Jackson series but I'm not sure if I'll get to it by the end of the year, I want to read Open Road Summer whenever I can get my hands on it, Eventually will read The One and Only but I'm in no hurry as I couldn't really get into it, and I'm not sure if I'll ever give Elin Hilderbrand a try....

My Summer Reads:

I am just going to show the books I read in each month. If you want to know more of my thoughts, click on the month to go to my monthly wrap up!

June Reads

July Reads

August Reads

*********************************

Overall I had a decent reading summer! I reread 4 books (The Lucky One, The Last Song, Anna and the French Kiss, and Lola and the Boy Next Door), I finally read a classic I've been meaning to read forever (To Kill a Mockingbird), I discovered a new author that is fastly becoming a favorite (Colleen Hoover), I've read lots of graphic novels, and read one of my most anticipated reads for a long time (Isla and the Happily Ever After) and finally read a book that I couldn't wait to get my hands on and was lucky enough to get an arc of (My True Love Gave to Me) I didn't read a lot of fantastic books so it was hard coming up with 5 of my favorite. These 5 were my favorite reads over the summer but I'm not sure if they will make it on my top 14 books I will read/have read in 2014. We shall see at the end of the year! But for the summer these 5 were my favorite (Also I decided not to include my rereads):

5 Favorite Summer Reads

1. Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol

I've read 11 graphic novels over the summer and this was definitely my favorite (then followed by American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang) I just adored the illustrations and the story - it was cute and I connected to the main character! I definitely want to read any future work from Vera Brosgol!!

2. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

I've been putting this book off for so long and finally glad I read it - it was fantastic! Definitely one of my favorite classics, I love coming of age tales like this!

3. Landline by Rainbow Rowell

Rainbow Rowell is one of my favorite authors so of course this book is on the list! I loved it, you really connect with her characters and they feel real and that's one of the best things about her writing! Loved this book!

4. My True Love Gave to Me by Various Authors

I am so glad I got to read this early! I loved this mix of holiday stories and it was such a nice variety! I enjoyed reading each one so much and picking my favorites. I love 'love' stories and this was a bunch of them! My favorite of course is Rainbow Rowell's Midnights! So cute, definitely will be reading some of these stories around the holidays!

5. Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen

Honestly, I had a hard time picking a 5th - I wanted it to be a romance, but I just can't pick. This one is a very young romance coming of age tale that I just loved - I loved the message of this story and it was just so cute. Even though the ending didn't give me the closure I wanted, I still loved this story!

3 Honorable Mentions:

***************

Well there you have it - the wrap up of my summer reading! I had a decent summer - besides reading I went to California in June for a wedding and visited Yosemite National Park and San Francisco which is the best thing I've done this summer! I hope to do this sort of "season" wrap up in the future and can't wait to see what books I'll read in the fall - so far it's off to a pretty good start! Feel free to check out Regan's video, she read lots of great books and feel free to do your own summer wrap up!

Hope you all had a good summer and here's to my favorite season - fall! I'm so excited to read some good books, drink hot beverages, go to halloween/fall events, see the beautiful fall foliage, and have a good thanksgiving meal!

Please, tell me what your favorite book you read over the summer is!