4 Mini Book Reviews

I made it a goal this year to review all the books I've read and I'm slacking a little. There's some books I haven't reviewed for some reason or other. And I wanted to catch up, so thought I'd just do another mini review mash up!

The books I'm going to review: Pivot Point by Kasie West, The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick,  Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor, and

The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks!

Pivot Point by Kasie West

(read in June 2014)

Summary: Pivot Point is about a girl who can see how her life will turn out (the future) if she is faced with a choice. In this book her parents are splitting up, her mother is staying behind in this secret compound where people have special abilities and her father is leaving the compound out into the real world. Addison has to choose whether she stays with her mom and the only life she has known, or live with her father in the real world. She uses her ability to see how her life will turn out with both situations. What will happen and what will she choose?

☆☆☆☆

Review: I loved this book! I read this on my vacation to California and I really enjoyed it! I really like Kasie West's writing, it's easy to read, fast paced, enjoyable - she has some really sweet and cute romances too :) I read the Distance Between Us prior to this one and knew from that book that I wanted to read all of her books. I loved that this story felt like a contemporary but added the sci-fi element of characters having special abilities like erasing memories, seeing into the future, and lie detecting. It was so interesting that we got to see what her life would be like with her mom and her dad and what happened in each of those lives and the boys she met in each of them. So cute. One of my favorite kind of love triangles :) I don't know why I haven't picked up the sequel yet, Split Second? What's wrong with me!? I need to find out what happens and it's the only Kasie West book I haven't read since I read her most recent, On the Fence when it released in July!

-------------------

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

(read in July)

Summary: The is a story told through pictures and words. It's about a boy named Hugo who is an orphan living in a train station and takes care of the clocks. He is fascinated with clock work and a certain piece his father found and he is trying to get it to work again. A toy shop owner in the train station catches Hugo stealing one of his toys and ends up working for him to pay it off. You learn about all the characters and how their story becomes one.

☆☆☆☆☆

Review: This is a beautiful story - it was like reading a movie! I love the combination of the pictures and the story within. It was such a beautiful and moving story - I loved how everything came together!! I wish I had more words, but I just loved the story - the illustrations were beautiful and imaginative as the story and it was just really special. I need to read more of his work!!

---------------------

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

(read in June)

Summary: Here's the goodreads summary because it's too complicated for me:

Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages--not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.

When one of the strangers--beautiful, haunted Akiva--fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself

☆☆☆

Review: I was really liking this book at first, I liked how it seemed like the main character was a regular student (I also really loved that she was in art class) and she had this secret alter life. I was loving it up until it really got into the fantasy elements and to be honest I found it just too strange. The whole animal thing. I have a thing against humans or beings looking like animals (same issue I had with the Madman's daughter) I know they were demons and some demons are described with animal like appearances - it just weirds me out. Wings I can deal with - but horns and such - not so much. But then I started liking it again with the romance aspect - I really liked that because I'm just a hopeless romantic and found that beautiful. I don't though - I'm on the fence with this one. Her writing is beautiful but I just don't know if I like the fantasy aspect of her work. There's just something that doesn't gel with me. I also read her story in My True Love Gave to Me and something didn't work for me with that one although it was beautifully written and I think her fans are really going to love it. I'm really debating whether I want to continue with this trilogy, it's just the fantasy aspect is just too weird for me but I like the characters and the romance and the plot. I'm sorry this review is all over the place and just doesn't make sense but I just don't know about this one.

The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks

(reread in August)

Summary: Ronnie is still angry about her parent's divorce. Although she hasn't spoken to her father in years, she as well as her little brother, Jonah have to stay with him for the summer. During this summer she gets involved in the wrong crowd, falls in love, witnesses new life, and reconnects with her father. This will be the summer that will change her life forever.

☆☆☆☆☆

Review: It feels weird reviewing Nicholas Sparks books because he's my number one favorite author and I've read and love all his books. And I'm really biased to his work and I have been reading his books for a really long time. Reading his books are like coming home to me and the way they make me feel and how they are just really nostalgic and calming for me to read is going to be different for new readers of his books. I feel like I can't be objective towards his work. With that said, of course I love this book. I first read it in 2010 I believe and this is a reread. I love that the main character, Ronnie is a teenager and that it takes place at the beach. I love watching her character grow throughout the novel and her relationship with her father. It's just such a beautiful story with great character growth, a cute romance, a beautiful family dynamic, music, sea turtles, - it just a wonderful and heartbreaking book! I think if you haven't read a Nicholas Sparks book, this would be a great one to read first (especially if you love YA since the main character is a teen)

*****

***********

*****

Well those are the books I needed to catch up with! I have 2 graphic novels that I haven't reviewed yet because I'm hoping to read some more graphic novels before the year is out and do a review mash up. And I also have 2 novellas I haven't reviewed because I'm hoping to read at least one more for another review mash up!

Have you read any of these?