Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Thirteen Reasons Why - Jay Asher

"You can't go back to how things were. How you thought they were. All you really have is...now.”

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher is a heartbreaking story of a girl named Hannah who committed suicide and recorded the thirteen reasons why she ended her life including the people who played a part. It begins with a boy named Clay that receives a package with no return address having no idea how much it will change his life. In this package are the tapes Hannah recorded up until her death. Listening to the tapes, Clay learns the reasons that led up to her suicide and all the people that were involved. Starting from one person, a string of events ultimately lead up to her tragic end. When Clay is finished listening to the whole story, he must pass the tapes to the next person on the list...

From the start, this book pulled me in and I could not put it down. I had to know what happened to this girl that made her want to end her life. I can't imagine how horrifying it would be knowing you played a part in someone's death like that. Throughout the book, like Clay I was wishing I could prevent all these things from happening to Hannah. But you can't. This book really shows how all the little things adding up matter and how much people are affected by others. It also shows how one occurrence can make a big difference in how ones sees you and how your life plays out. I'm sure we all can think back on a moment and think how differently things would turn out if that moment did not happen like it did. But the overall meaning I took from this book is that even though you can't change the things that have happened, you can learn and grow from it and strive to overcome it and do better.

Overall I really enjoyed this book! It's one that stays with you and makes you reflect back on your life and will change the way you view others and how you treat people.